ANTHONY Jarmann will have to wait until next year to defend his World Boxing Association (WBA) Pan African Super welterweight title, following the withdrawal through injury of challenger Nkululeko Mhlongo from Friday's contest.
The South African's camp on Monday said the fighter was in no physical shape to honour the fight after picking up an injury during his previous fight.
The WBA and fight promoter Kinda Boxing Promotions have not found a replacement.
“I hereby wish to inform you that my boxer Nkululeko Mhlongo, who was due to fight against Anthony Jarman for WBA Pan Africa, is unable to go on with the fight on 16 December 2016, due to the shoulder injury he sustained during the fight against France Ramabolu in October 2016,” Mhlongo's trainer Sechaba Maboya said in a letter to the organisers.
“We took it further to take him to the doctor, but his shoulder unfortunately did not respond to the treatment. We therefore require more time for his shoulder to heal. Postponement of this fight will be an option,” he added.
However, it appears unlikely that the fight, which was initially set for 20 November, would have materialised, given the promotion stable's ongoing feud with Namibia Professional Boxing and Wrestling Control Board vice president Ellison Hijarunguru.
Promoter Kinda Nangolo has repeatedly accused Hijarunguru, who allegedly owes the former close to N$80 000 in a personal capacity, of blocking the fight by finding fault with his application for the event.
On Monday, Nangolo issued a statement in which he accused Hijarunguru of “badmouthing Kinda Promotions with the WBA vice president for Africa” [Stan Christodoulou].
A recent text message supposedly sent to Christodoulou from Hijarunguru reads: “Kinda is a confused element, he doesn't have a sponsor nor money. He just pretends, but will update you (sic).”
Contacted for comment by The Namibian Sport, Christodoulou, who said the WBA had approved Jarmann's fight and were awaiting the boxing control board's go-ahead, denied any knowledge of the text.
“There was no such thing. I did not receive such a message from Ellison [Hijarunguru], nor did I send one to Kinda [Nangolo]”, he said.
“As far as the fight is concerned, everything is in order. We are hundred per cent satisfied with Kinda Promotions. We are just waiting for the sanctioning from the Namibian boxing board.”
Hijarunguru told New Era that Nangolo had taken the message out of context.
“When I said Nangolo is a confused element, I was not attacking his persona, but I was condemning his claims that we (the board) had already sanctioned his December 16 boxing bonanza – because that is what he [Nangolo] told Christodoulou and he was lying, because we haven't sanctioned any fight at all,” Hijarunguru said.
- Title: Jarmann fight called off
- Posted by:
- Date: 6:24 AM